Friday, March 26, 2010

Going Out and Being Social

This marks the third week of TYSIC, actually I was supposed to do this yesterday, but I got home really late so Friday will do I guess.

I worked on my putting myself out there more this week by being more social.

Monday, I went to a lecture about Henry Blundell and his huge collection of Ince art. It wasn't required or anything, and I usually don't go to these things, but I thought it would help me to be more social. If not I would have probably spent my Monday afternoon in my dorm watching the tv and being on the computer. I think I would call this day a success. I managed to talk to one person there, and she was really nice. Apparently we had a class together and talked about how things are going.

Wednesday, I met with my mentor from a scholarship program I am a part of. I get what you're thinking, that this was basically required so it doesn't count, but hear me out. If there is one thing I'm good at it's avoiding people. I was supposed to meet her in September, and I faked sick, so we called it off. Other times I just said I had to study and hopefully we can meet up after exams and stuff. So about a week ago she emailed me to meet finally. She took me to a coffee shop where another sophomore was there with his freshmen mentee. They were all nice people. Me and the other freshmen were pretty much shy, but the mentors tried to get the conversation moving. And the next thing I new an hour had passed. I would also call this successful, but tiring.

Then on Thursday, me and my writing class went to go see a production of Henry V. Again, if I really wanted to I could have found a way out, but I thought it would be a good learning experience on going out more. Since I've basically only gone on the metro once before. The bad part was that from Noon to 5:30 I had already had 4 classes. And our teacher told us to leave around 6. So as soon, I was out of accounting I had to run to the dining hall, and stuff my face with as much past as possible. After, I ran to my room changed and waited for a classmate I ended up going with, since they new which metro stop to get off on. We got there really early about 6:45 and ended up wandering about. The play started at 8 p.m. and at first it was fine.

I don't really know how to explain it, but there was a stage and there were 2 wings on the left and right where you can sit, and then a raised stage on top of that where the actors would actually be. I was right on the edge on the front row. I was really close to the actors at some points. Sometimes I would get hit on the legs with their robes as they would run offstage. That was kinda cool. And other times it was scare the crap out of me because they would sometimes have these large sticks and hit them on the stage right next to me. The noise alone made me jump. I thought it was a really good production. They did interesting things with the chorus. And it was a lot funnier than I thought it would be.

Right now it sounds like it was a lot of fun. But the thing was 3 hours long! I was already so tired from classes, I had a major headache and just wanted to go to sleep. Also being that close to the stage, the lights would sometimes shine right on your eyes, which didn't help the headache. Some of my classmates ended up leaving at intermission, which was at like 9:40. As much as I wanted to go, I decided to stay basically because of TYSIC. I tend to always live in my own little world, and this was an experience I never had before. And I guess I should add doing different things to my TYSIC. The play ended at about 11:00-ish. And I didn't get home until after midnight. Because of the sucky buses the school runs. I was so tired and just collapsed on to my bed. This explains why I didn't write down my TYSIC yesterday.


  1. sounds like you really suffered, but i'm glad you stuck with it. thanks for the general TYSIC thought: if we only stick to our goals when they're convenient, we'll get a lot less out of our ten years.

  2. Well done you! What a very full week you've had - makes it all the more interesting to read about.

  3. Ben: Well if it wasn't for TYSIC I would have definitely given up.

    Erin: Thanks very much. Yeah, I realize that if I don't do things like this I'll have absolutely nothing to talk about. And then there's no way I'll be able to do a blog a week.